Monday, February 15, 2016

REVIEW: The Mind (The Reluctant Romantics #1.5) by Kate Stewart


We fell in love in a lightning strike, a sudden anomaly in a sea of lost people.

He knew right away, yet I was hesitant. I could have never prepared myself for a love like ours. 

No one could.


As a child, I had conjured an amazing story in my mind. It was a story I could retell about a man that would move me like no other; a story about the way we met and how he had swept me off my feet. But, the ending to that fairytale was so far from the reality. 


No one will want to hear that story now, but for Grant, I will always tell it.

***Explicit Sex and Language. Not for those who are not fans of spontaneous love affairs.


5 “Go get her” STARS

This novella's a prequel to Rose's story, The Heart. We met Rose and Grant in The Fall and while this novella is part of a series, it can be read as a standalone. But there are some spoilers to The Fall and also, IMO, meeting Rose and Grant in the first book really sets the stage for their story in The Mind. I strongly recommend reading The Fall first.

This was utterly heartbreaking and breathtakingly beautiful. Having read the first book, I knew how this would end for Rose and Grant, and even knowing that, this was not an easy read. To say I cried would be an understatement. It wasn't pretty.
I loved Rose from the first book and by the end, I was jonesing for her story. I'll admit, while I thought Grant was sweet, sexy and I liked him, I had my reservations. Insta-love isn't a turn off for me because I do believe it's possible (I see those eye rolls) but it's rare that an author can make it work for me.

I'm not trying to convert you but I'll ask this question: Haven't you ever just instantly clicked with someone (doesn't have to be romantic) that it's like you're meant to meet? Meant to be connected; together even if for a fleeting moment in time? And that time spent with that person changes you. Makes your world view different, better or more? If not, sorry to hear that. Anyway, for me, in short order, Kate was able to win me over to Grant's vision and beliefs that Rose was THE one.

“I had planted the seed of a future for myself a long time ago without ever really seeing the big picture.”
Grant was an old soul and a true romantic. Understanding his childhood, why he saw things the way he did, his beliefs and his loss made all of it fit. There’s no denying that Grant had an ethereal quality about him. Many of his sweet and loving words to Rose were filled with promise but also double entendres and held a much deeper and prophetic significance.
 photo the mind_zpsiytta6ai.jpg
Throughout the tale of Rose and Grant, Kate’s words made me feel like I was Rose. I connected with her so easily and got her attraction to Grant but also her skepticism in the beginning to Grant’s intense feelings and his resolute faith in them as a couple. Rose was protecting her heart; afraid to fall too far too fast and I got that. But once she trusted in that feeling between them, once she saw Grant’s heart and love, she was all in.
Right now, I’m seriously in love with Grant and just don’t know how I'm Rose’s going to move on and find another love. But knowing Kate, she’ll work her magic and I know she’ll have me eating my words.
If you believe in epic love stories and that every love has a worth and purpose no matter how brief, you must read this story!
**ARC generously provided by Kate Stewart in exchange for an honest review.**




Kate Stewart, a native of Dallas, now resides in Charleston, S.C. She moved to the city three weeks after her first visit, dropping her career of 8 years, declaring the city her creative muse. Since her move in 2010, she has published two novels, the third coming July 2015. She lives with her husband of 8 years, Nick who is featured on the cover of the novel, TITAN. (Set to re-release some time in 2015.)


Her other novels include Room 212,  Never Me, and Loving the White Liar which are all available now.

No comments:

Post a Comment