Tuesday, December 29, 2015

REVIEW: Uncut (Unexpected #4) by Claudia Burgoa

Uncut (Unexpected #4)
Matthew 

My brother and sister found their calling and people to share it with for the rest of their lives. Our parents haven’t said a thing, but I can read it on their faces. 
What are you doing with your life, Matthew?
I’ve always been a songwriter but can no longer find the words. Everyone around me thinks I’m where I am in life because of my parents. I’m at a crossroads in my life and I don’t know which way to turn. 
I don’t define my sexuality, I do what feels right. Love? Well, that is one melody I have yet to find the right notes to. Until them… 

Thea 

My childhood glittered with the lights of Hollywood while my adult life has been filled with the darkness of my ghosts and addictions. But all that is behind me and I am working on spinning the pain of my past into the promise of my future. Love? Well, that’s one addiction I have not yet dared to fool with.Until them…

Tristan 

I’m running from a life where my future was decided for me. What to wear. Which company to manage. Who to marry. One day, I snapped, and I haven’t been back since. Now I manage my own businesses and I am who I want to be. But behind closed doors, I am still alone and I still long for things that I’ve been taught to hate. Love? Well, that’s one merger I’ve never braved.Until them… 

Warning: This book contains two sexy hunks and is not recommended for the faint of heart. This is a long, thought-provoking read which will work through the angst of finding love amidst past hurts and the pain associated with not belonging, not fitting in.




5+++ BUTTERFLY STARS

It's no secret that this series is one of my all time faves of this year. Discovering Claudia Burgoa -Thank you, Didi and Carol! - has made my reading experience all the more richer. If the Deckers were a real family, I'd be begging them to adopt me. I just love this family so much!!
This fourth book is Matthew Decker's, the third triplet, musician and all around wonderful guy. I kid you not, Mattie has a heart of gold. He's not perfect but damn close. He's lovable, funny, all alpha when he wants to be and has this strong desire to take care and protect people. He also believes that anything is possible. I truly can't believe I'm saying this because up until this point, Mason Bradley had my heart but Mattie,
...I was on my knees and falling hard for Mattie in this one!

This is an unconventional love story but so beautiful that my words will not do it justice.
This story if about not two people falling in love but three.

Mattie has always been one to not put labels on things and follow his attraction no matter if male or female. This time around, Mattie has a brief but seriously hot relationship with his brother's business partner, Tristan Cooperson. Tristan is a truly flawed and complex character. A man who, like Matt, is drawn to both men and women but was taught from a young age that it was wrong. He was wrong. He struggles to be comfortable in his own skin. Tristan is filled with shame, anger, fear and doesn't accept himself. Of course, it doesn't help that his family perpetuates these beliefs and cuts him down at every turn.
 photo image.jpg2_zpsxpcjw3tp.jpg

Matt and Tristan don't last as Mattie will not be put in the closet and Tristan doesn't know how to be out in the open. This is where Thea Dennis enters the picture. She's a bartender at a bar that Matt frequents and they've been friends for a while. But Matt now sees her and she him.

“Fuck, I’m in love with her and falling for him all at the same time.”
Thea has a dark and traumatic past that led to addiction and abuse. She's tried so hard to put her past behind her and is reborn. She's full of life, hope and love. She is the bridge to both Mattie and Tristan forming another bond as they are both drawn to her and her to them. She's the glue that binds these two men.

This is a beautifully raw and real story that I felt on a visceral level. It moved me and had me embracing another kind of love that's just as special and just as pure as any other.

There were some real hard and sad moments that had me wishing I could fix it all but also understanding that you have to go through the hurt to get to the light.
“I love you more than yesterday. I can’t wait for tomorrow. I’ll love you even more then.”

There's one more book in this special series and I'm scared.
I don't want these wonderful characters and their lives to end yet I so want to see what happens with Porter Kendrick. I'm not a huge fan of Porter's. I so want to know how Claudia will deal with his story. It's going to be so bittersweet.

I can't recommend this series enough. If you love those books that burrow into your soul and take up residence; those books that flit through your mind at the most unexpected times bringing a smile, smirk, laugh or tear, then you must READ. THIS.


**ARC generously provided by Claudia Burgoa in exchange for a honest review.**



Born on the mystical day of October 30th in the not so mystical lands of Mexico City, Claudia grew up with a childhood that resembled a caffeine-injected soap opera. Seventeen years ago she ventured to the lands of her techie husband—a.k.a. the U.S.—with their offspring to start a new adventure.

She now lives in Colorado working as a CFO for a small IT company, managing her household filled with three confused dogs, said nerd husband, two daughters wrought with fandoms and a son who thinks he’s the boss of the house. To survive she works continually to find purpose for the voices flitting through her head, plus she consumes high quantities of chocolate to keep the last threads of sanity intact.


1 comment: