Monday, October 12, 2015

REVIEW: The Air He Breathes (Elements #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry

I was warned about Tristan Cole. 

“Stay away from him,” people said. 
“He’s cruel.” 
“He’s cold.” 
“He’s damaged.” 

It’s easy to judge a man because of his past. To look at Tristan and see a monster. 

But I couldn’t do that. I had to accept the wreckage that lived inside of him because it also lived inside of me. 

We were both empty. 
We were both looking for something else. Something more. 
We both wanted to put together the shattered pieces of our yesterdays. 

Then perhaps we could finally remember how to breathe.


4.5 "Because I see you" Stars

"There were small signs from the angels, letting us know they were always close by, watching over us."


I truly love discovering a new author and then falling in love with their characters and story. Thank you, Ms. Cherry! You made me smile, you made me laugh, you made me cry and Tristan, Elizabeth, Emma and Zeus stole my heart.


This was a beautiful, breathtaking read with so many emotions. It covers the very harsh and dreadful reality of death, grief and loss of your partner, your child and your life as you know it.

Ms. Cherry did a brilliant job of creating such vibrant, broken and life-like characters that made this story so deep and moving. We all grieve differently and there is no right and wrong. This story is all about that and how two shattered souls find a way to make their broken pieces fit.


"Show me the shadows that keep you up at night. Kiss me with your darkness."


"She undressed me and made love to her past. I slid into her and made love to my ghosts."


I would have given this 5 Stars but two things jarred me. Towards the last 20% of the book, the pace picked up to the point that it felt rushed (up until then it had been a slow and measured build) and drama ensued that seemed out of nowhere. Sure, there were some very minor clues in retrospect but there was no indication it was going in that direction. But needless to say, this was not big enough to kill the aura and beauty of this tale.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a story to move them, empty them and then fill them up again in the best way possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment