Saturday, September 5, 2015

REVIEWS: Sacked (Gridiron #1) by Jen Frederick **EXCERPT**

What he wants he gets... 

Knox Masters is a quarterback's worst nightmare. Warrior. Champion. And...virgin. Knox knows what he wants--and he gets it. All American Football player? Check. NFL pros scouting him? Check. Now, he's set his sight on two things. The national title. And Ellie Campbell. Sure, she's the sister of his fellow teammate, but that's not going to stop him. Especially not when he’s convinced Ellie is the one. 

...but he's never met her before. 

But Ellie isn't as sure. She's trying to start a new life and she's not interested in a relationship...with anyone. Beside it's not just her cardinal rule of never dating her brother's teammates that keeps her away, but Ellie has a dark secret that would jeopardize everything Knox is pursuing. 
Knox has no intention of losing. Ellie has no intention of giving in.

Release Date: Sept 6th, 2015

4.75 Stars

Ohhhh Myyyy Gooddddd...... What a goodie... Thumbs up from Katy.


If you know me you'll know 1. Sports Romance and 2. College Romances are both my guilty pleasures. 9 out of 10 times I will enjoy the ride these stories give me, not that its EVERY time but it is the norm. This was no different, not only because of the genre but because of the story plus the writing geesh I enjoyed it all.

So what's it about?
Knox Masters is the Best and he's the Quarterback of his college team. He's looked at as powerful, in charge of his life, of his team, of HIS FIELD.. He puts his teams first, his brother, he's in control of all aspects of his life apart from that he's a virgin yep you got it a virgin he's never met the 'One' to let go with. He doesn't do the man whore thing like his team mates, he wanted to find that special person and here he is in his final year still a Virgin that is until he bumps in Elliot.

Elliot is the sister of Jack Campbell who has just been transferred to play in Knox's team. Whereas Knox is in control of his life and his game, Ellie is in control of Jacks life more-so than her own.

So lets discuss the Insta-love. Some find that off putting and too much and yes there is that but for me it didn't bother me. Purely because there was a mature feel to the story and it wasn't just about the sex but more so about life and settling down.

Although there are intriguing, senusal and toe curling moments.


There also was some seriously fun moments between brothers... bonding and Knox was in the midst of it all.... he knew how to lure Ellie in, how to seduce her in His Own Way.

Bahaha yes his own foolish wayssss.

The middle for me though was a lull. It was a gradual slow developed story, when I say that I mean Jen sure knows about football and for an English Gal like myself who doesn't really enjoy football because it is soccer here, and that bores me no end to be frank. I digress what I'm saying is it was good to know some of the specifics of the game that was a sort of lesson such as slapping their teams arses really? I was like WHAT?? then I'm wow this is for team spirit and for team unity.


But what I'm trying to say here is that this story is about living and life. About how a team is built. How they gradually go through the stages of the game and how they gain the respect they deserve.

Ellie is as knowledgeable of football as much as Knox is, so their story was sooo much more if you look a little deeper.

What I loved
Ellie hasn't the best family, aside from her brother she was on her own so what I really LOVED was the family element of the plot and how much this isn't just about the kind of family your born into but more so about the kind of family you find yourself enveloped in.


Above all this is a great beginning and setup for this series, I really LOVED Jens writing style and how she slowly built the story up, how she gradually let you know and feel bits. How it had everything in it, was fun, sexy, emotional.

I'm looking forward to how she'll take this and here's hoping Jack will get his own story I have a soft spot for him.

That. Is. All
**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**


4.5 TOUCH DOWN Stars

Well, you'd think that I've had enough of the locker room and college sports with all of the great reads that have come out over the past several months. But nah, this girl likes her sport romances and there's just something about a hot, sexy, breathless, sweaty athlete!


Well, this was my first Jen Frederick read and now I've got another go-to author to add to my list!! This was another great read of a genre and topic that you'd think has been done to death but Jen Frederick gives us an original and refreshing story.


Here we have Knox Masters "decorated defensive end, captain of the Western State Warriors, and projected top ten NFL draft pick." who sets his sights on Eliot (Ellie)Campbell -- he knows she's the ONE -- without even knowing her name.


Knox was so easy to like. There's also a really great twist to Knox (I won't spoil it) that just makes him unlike most God-like College star athletes and made me love him all the more. And Ellie was just how I like my heroines - sassy, smart, witty and strong. These two were great together. I'm also a sucker for when the boy chases the girl which is exactly what we get here as Ellie and football players don't mix.

"He's a bulldozer, forging forward to take what he wants. And somehow he wants me."


"He's wrecking me, in long licks and tiny bites, one tender and scorching hot kiss at a time. 


I want to suspend time and remain in this moment forever with his big frame blotting out the light and his mouth memorizing every curve and plane of my face. 


I feel weightless, protected and cherished."

One thing that I'm not a fan of but will admit that some authors can pull it off is insta-love. Yes, there was insta-love here but you know what? Ms. Frederick made it work with the unique situation she created, the character development and the plot.

"I give myself over to his dominance. His wildness feeds my own until I barely know where he ends and I begin. We are one, infused with the same euphoria, possessed by the same need, bound together by the same love."


Finally, one sublime, added touch was how Jen Frederick's not only gives us a great romance but she also gives us the spirit and heart of football. She perfectly captures the plays, passion, drive, sacrifice and bond of the players. I want more of these Western State Warriors, especially Matty's and Jack's stories!

***An advance reading copy was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review***
I lock my legs to keep from falling over and pull out the biggest barrel I have. “Masters, there are things about me that if you knew you wouldn’t want to spend another minute in my presence.”

He considers my words, the silence taking on a heaviness and part of me already aches for what I could have if I was just any other girl at Western. “Have you killed anyone?” he finally asks. I can feel his eyes assessing me and I keep my gaze averted afraid of what

I’ll see in his moss green gaze.

“No.”

“Have you slept with my brother?”
“What?” I can’t prevent myself from gawking at Masters, who’s smiling as he asks the question. “No! God, I’ve never even met him!”

“Are you catfishing poor athletes from Auburn? Wait, don’t answer that because I don’t think I’d find that objectionable. Oh, I have it—” He snaps his fingers.

“This isn’t a joke, Masters.”

He tucks a stray piece of hair behind my ear. “Until you tell me what it is, it’s not a reason to be apart either.”

I suck in my lower lip to prevent throwing myself at him and telling him to take me.

“Why?” I ask helplessly.

“Because I like you.”

He grips me by the chin and lays down gentlest, sweetest kiss. In that kiss he tells me everything. That he wants me. That he’s willing to take it slow. That he’s not giving up.

He kisses me as if this is the only thing he wants to do for the next ten hours.

His lips barely move but I can feel everything in me surge toward him. The short wedges
I shoved on this morning suddenly feel precarious. I grip his shoulders to steady myself and then find myself rising up on my tiptoes to press deeper against him. He hauls me flush against him until I can no longer touch the floor.

His one hand palms nearly my entire back while the other angles my head for better access. He may be a virgin, but the guy knows how to kiss. His tongue is finding places inside my mouth that I didn’t even know would feel good.

All the pent up desire that has been boiling in me for days comes pouring out of me. I attack him with my next kiss, biting his lower lip, sucking on his tongue. Against my belly I can feel the hard ridge of his erection.

“God,” I breathe as he abandons my mouth to trace the line of my jaw with his lips. He growls in response and pushes me back against the bookcases but I don’t even mind that the shelves are biting into my back. I just want more.

And he gives it to me. We cling to each other, feeding off of each other’s seemingly endless need until I hear a gasp and then a muted giggle. And those two faint sounds somehow manage to break through the haze of lust and bring with it the realization that

I am in a very public place. I wriggle against him and he sets me down reluctantly.

“We’re in the bookstore,” I say in a scandalized voice.

“You’ve never kissed a guy in the bookstore before?” He grins, the wicked mischievous one I’m beginning to associate with something tremendously naughty. “There’s a first time for everything.”


No comments:

Post a Comment