Tuesday, August 18, 2015

REVIEW: Kick Push (Kick Push #1) by Jay McLean

There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the greatest feeling in the world.
Then at seventeen, I had my son.
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad.
That’s what my life became.
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did.
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me.
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air?
Coming down from the high.
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick.
Then kick, push, and coast away.
Other times you fall.
You fall hard.
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.


5 Breathe, Coast and I see you Stars


"There are some sacrifices greater than love. And some loves greater than any, Tommy's greater than both."

I don't know how the hell to review this book nor how to get over a book like this...

This is a book about life and about learning to breathe again.

Josh is a single dad after his ex girlfriend left him, after his parents failed him, and he was left to bring up his son ALONE. He learnt what unconditional love means and became the one man his son needed.

This is a book about taking chances and healing wounds and a little about opening up.


Becca has a past and she has a future but a few secrets that take a hold of you as you read this story and for Josh he helps Becca to LIVE again. I don't want to really explain this book any further than that because I read this from around the 30% last night till it ended this morning I went to sleep at 3am and continued on because when I got there I couldn't breathe, I couldn't function, I had to remind my self to BREATHE again. I needed to COAST. I felt like my heart was pulled right out of my chest yet I loved every damn moment of this phenomenal book <<<<< YOU NEED TO EXPERIENCE THIS YOURSELF!!


What I loved about these characters was that they ALL had flaws and worries and things to overcome. Yet they were charming and loving, caring and gave freely. There was something so innocent yet wise at the same time. I felt like I needed to wrap myself around them and tell them everything was going to be ok.... I saw them.

I love finding new authors to cherish, I sure will be reading Jays books again in the future. Just know that this is about pasts and futures, new and old, it's about a father who loves his son, a child who loves his dad and about family and unconditional love by all parties.

It's also about a special girl who has sparkling emerald eyes that tells stories in them, and it's about LIVING. But this is not an easy journey for Becca and for us readers it is GRITTY and raw and for some I suppose difficult to read, but for those who want to take a chance on some beautiful characters that just need to learn to lean on others then please pick this up.
"Do you have a safe place, Becca?" 
I release a shaky breath, but I can't seem to look away. "Yes," I whisper. And I hesitate, just for a moment, from telling him the truth. "You."
Read it. That is all.

(No Cover, Synopsis or Release Date yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment