Thursday, July 9, 2015

REVIEW: Ricochet by Keri Lake

The only sure way to destroy a man is to take what he cannot live without.
Three years ago, I had everything.

A beautiful wife.
A son.
A reason for living.

Until a ruthless task force, assembled under Mayor Michael Culling, with a brutal strategy to make the streets of Detroit ‘safe’, ripped away everything I loved in a deadly hunt called The Culling.

They tried to kill me, too. I wish they had. Now I'm cursed by the memories of that night, and the words I whispered to my dying wife.

A promise—to avenge the wrong and set it right.

I’m no longer Nick Ryder. I’m a masked vigilante. Faceless. Loveless. Fearless. A man with nothing left to lose—one who's seen the dark and violent truth behind the city’s flawless veneer.

Michael Culling doesn’t know who I am. Or what I want. All he knows is that I’ve kidnapped his beautiful wife.

An eye for an eye—isn’t that how the saying goes? And Aubree Culling is the perfect pawn to destroy him.

If she doesn’t destroy me first.

WARNING: **Not recommended for readers under the age of 18 due to graphic violence, sex and strong language. Trigger warning for self harm.


5 "I’ve got you" Stars

“But from each crime are born bullets that will one day seek out in you where the heart lies.” – Pablo Neruda


Nick Ryder is a lethal weapon. Shot in the head and left for dead, Nick is a man destroyed; having witnessed the violent and sadistic murders of his wife and son and not being able to save them. Now three years later, Nick is consumed with darkness, hatred, anger, violence and blood lust.


He has a plan to bring down the evil mastermind behind the crime, Michael Culling, the corrupt and dirty mayor of Detroit and all the men that perpetrated the heinous crime against his family. Aubree Culling, the mayor’s wife, plays a part in Nick’s plan for vengeance so, he kidnaps her.


Aubree, like Nick, is also trapped in her own darkness. Her life is a fa├žade. In public, in front of the cameras, she’s the perfect mayoral wife but behind closed doors, she is held captive and at the mercy of the brutally vindictive whims and fantasies of her husband. Beaten, whipped, humiliated, battered and bruised, Aubree dreams of escaping the clutches of the madman she married.


This is a dark, emotionally gripping, raw, dirty and graphic read. My first Keri Lake novel but it won't be my last if she continues to write dark contemporary romance. Nick was a beautifully dangerous character and easy to like despite the darkness that lurked beneath his depths. His pain and vengeance was palpable.


“The only path out of his heart lay along the edge of a blade.”



“…the word revenge, and like a rich liquor, it cooled that burning thrust inside me.”


I really liked Aubree and just loved her true strength of spirit. This woman should be beyond broken for what she's endured yet she's still standing and fighting.

“I lived in a constant state of defense, and had taken enough punches in the dark that my body’s reflexes were always wired, tense.”

Nick and Aubree were these two shattered souls who some how made their broken pieces fit perfectly together. They were tormented and tender...


but also intense and animalistic in need and desire.


“In his bed, amid the darkness, the destruction, the ruin, he fixed me. His gentle hands delicately fastened together the pieces of me that’d become so broken and scattered with no hope for convergence.”


Truly a gut wrenching, power punching, sock-it-to-ya story that will have you on the edge of your seat, your emotions all over the place and your heart pining for all of the characters closest to Nick. I highly recommend this book if you love dark romance!


**ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment