Tuesday, May 26, 2015

REVIEW: Unsurprisingly Complicated (Unexpected #2) by Claudia Burgoa

AJ 

The lies between my parents and I came to light and now I’m working on a new life for myself. Along the way, I have my trusty superhero, Mason, to lean on when I have a hard time standing or when my crazy ex-boyfriend continues to feel he has a claim on me.
Porter has trouble understanding that there hasn’t been an ‘us’ for more than three years plus all the issues he had brought upon himself. My father was right, drugs do kill. My other concern is the growing feelings I am having regarding Mason. There’s something between us I want to explore but I keep getting mixed signals. Here, I thought that after telling my parents about my lies and having their full support, things wouldn’t be as complicated as they are.

Mason 

My parents divorced before I even made my entrance into this world. My father has been obsessed with that love for years while my mother searches for love in all the wrong places. I don’t want a place to call home or a girl I can claim as mine. Except… Ainsley Janine –better known as ‘Nine’—has some special power that makes me question my preferences. The more I try to stay away from her, the more she pulls me closer.
Exploring the possibilities of having something steady in my life isn’t a problem; it’s the long term that worries me. In addition to that, the scumbag she dated years ago keeps popping up everywhere we go. If I could use my license to kill, maybe I can stop worrying about one thing and concentrate on what to do with the green eyed girl who keeps me awake most nights.

5 “9 and 10 go to together, no matter what” Stars


“A love story, his and mine. Ordinary, and yet extraordinary. One, unlike any other.”

This series captured my heart with the first book, Unlike Any Other. The Colthurst-Decker family hold a special place in my heart and Ainsley Janine (AJ) is such an awesome, real, kickass female character. I simply adore her! I was really looking forward to this book, Mason Bradley just did things to me...


...in the first book. I seriously wanted to see him and Ainsely Janine Colhurst-Decker together.


I knew this wasn’t going to be a walk in the park and there would be tears, angst and who knew what else. Boy was it ever, my emotions were...


AJ (Nine to Mase) and Mason (Ten to AJ) are best friends, grew up together and have this one-of-a-kind bond where no amount of time or space could ever sever their connection. I love a best friends to lovers story especially when it’s done exceptionally well like this one was.

In addition to the usual concern with what happens to the friendship if they crash and burn? There was also the fact that AJ and Mason dating would shake up the family dynamic: Mason was also friends with AJ’s brothers – MJ and JC – she is a triplet. And finally, the biggest obstacle of all was Mason Bradley. Needless to say, they go for it.

"Let's dare and try."


Mason is this insanely smart, sexy and superior man with stealth and lethal skills at securing, protecting and if needed, destroying. We finally learn that Mason owns a security/special ops business. Yet, for all of his “ninja skills,” he is emotionally stunted. He didn’t have the greatest of role models for a loving relationship as his parents’ divorced before he was even born yet they both loved him very much. He has commitment issues of any kind (he won't even sign a lease on a place to live) and is afraid of loving, of getting hurt and of doing complicated.

AJ and Mason were great together...


...although he’d unwittingly taints these beautiful moments between them with his fear, indecision and hot and cold attitude. He kept screwing things up and hurting AJ, which was the last thing he wanted to do.

“You’re making me walk through fragile glass, and I fear it’ll shatter with anything I may say wrong.”

"We shared blissful and magical moments, also the unsurprisingly complicated times where I had no idea how to fix the situation or how to react to what he said."


I truly enjoy Ms. Burgoa’s writing style. She’s creates these rich, realistic characters and their development is beautifully done. The growth of AJ from the first book to this one was inspiring and gratifying. She was always strong but she’s more confident, happier and wiser. And the journey she takes us on with Mason was so real. His fuck ups, his insane thoughts and his “come to Jesus” moment were all genuine and while I wanted to shake him at times, I could empathize with him.


“This girl – no woman – has always had the power to keep me unbalanced. Nothing she says or does is expected. She’s my fucking weakness, the one person who can warm my heart with one smile.”


This was so engrossing that I read it in one sitting and now I’m sad that it’s done. I just loved that all of AJ’s guys were in this one too. I simply adore her family and feel like I’m a part of their clan.


“No matter how high, fast, strong or long the waves are that crash against us, as long as the five of us are together, nothing will break us.”'


This one ended with a teaser for the next book, Uncharted: JC’s story. There were mentions throughout this book of JC’s past and I can hardly wait for his story!!

No comments:

Post a Comment