Monday, May 18, 2015

REVIEW: Kane's Hell by Elizabeth Finn

Kane and Helene were the best of friends until a nightmare devastated them… Hopes were destroyed, dreams shattered, a budding teenage love torn to pieces. Eleven years later their lives are nothing like they once were. Time has changed them … and not for the better.

Helene is smart, driven, and accomplished—her education and achievements a smoke screen hiding the frigid and fragile child wounded long ago.

Kane is equally obsessed with his coping mechanisms—fighting … drinking … screwing … compulsively destroying himself one vice at a time.

When their paths collide again, their past becomes an obstacle no coping mechanism in the world can protect them from. But confronting the past so they can heal in the present is no easy task. Can Kane reach Helene and recapture what used to burn so warmly between them, or will his own self destructive demons pull her into his hell?

A woman determined to look forward. A man always looking back. A love desperate to be restored. 

“You’re the brightest, warmest star in my universe. You’ll never be less than everything to me.”

WARNING: This book contains darker subject matter and violent content that may be difficult for some readers.

3.75 - 4 Stars


Ok this is the first book I read from this author and although I wasn't wowed, I adored Elizabeth's writing where she gave me as a reader some raw characters that developed at a slow steady pace, Saying all that I had a whole lot of emotions some good, some not so good so I'm going to give you some of thoughts on a subject that maybe slightly tough for some people.


What's It About
Kane and Helene were childhood best friends, they grew up from different backgrounds and different families one family that was more of a nurturing loving and supportive where she felt safe, then a father that was cruel, mean and completely different life for Kane but they were best of friends and that grew to wanting more as they grew where they were I suppose each others sanctuary more so for Kane but they were at a place that they loved and maybe even to look into the possibility of a MORE with each other and not just friends.


Except one night changed that path where they both went through the worst kind of torment and aguish that any kind of person should go through never mind that they're friends and going through it together and they should of been through it together Kane ran away. So in present day Kane doesn't cope as well as Helene for Kane he dealt by drinking and being with lots of women a way to take the burn away, to scratch that itch and to forget it was how he dealt, but for Helene she put her whole heart and sole into her studies and forgot in the best way possible. Now Kane's come back to sort his father's house out they both are having to confront their issues and see each other again by Kane enrolling in one of Helene's night class's to help with her dissertation and studies.


First off I have to discuss slightly this scene and how that hurt me To. Be. Honest. I struggled it was really difficult for me to read because it wasn't skimmed over you go through it bit by bit read it from the past and what they went though to present and how they deal with seeing each other the first 1/4 while this was going on truthfully it was HARD for me. I took a few breaks I love Angsty reads I love to cry and I love emotion but for me I struggled I'm not saying it wasn't needed that's just me and how I felt. Saying that I love the author for making us readers see what went on that evening and so she was truthfully giving us the bigger picture when you get to the end.


The Middle
It compromises of how they re-kindle or more like learn to love each other, learn to touch and feel each other and ultimately learn to let each other in to be Together.

This is a long read it took me allll week so being honest I got bored with the many HAWT scenes I just lacked a connection, I felt there were lots of explanations so it wasn't always straightforward and therefore I didn't feel a connection with them. There was just something lacking for me, they had been through a lot together to be at his point but I just lacked the depth to their emotions (this is just me so please don't let me put you off) as there's so many people who didn't feel like me I just struggled and at one point DNF'd but I hate doing that so I kept on....


But boy was I happy I did.... I know I know WHAT??? Yep last 30% I Loved It!!!


The Last 30%
Even though I struggled to keep going in the middle when I got to 70% and realised what the author was doing, I was sobbing my heart out. Here I was at 1am trying to calm myself down breathing in and out so I didn't wake my house up no joke. I realised what the author did in the middle and saw for REALS what actually happened that night.


All in all this was a full circle of emotions for me, I struggled, I was with them as they gained what they had at the beginning, bored and then emotional and happy for them at the end. So a Roller coaster journey for me, I would suggest in my experience give yourself time when reading it and keep on even if your like me and lacked the connection I felt in the middle as it was worth it for the end, I had an understanding.



To Sum Up
So to sum up would I recommend it ~ Yes just keep going and don't give up on them.

Will I read anything this author writes in the future? ~ Yes actually I have a few on my kindle that I really need to bump up.

If you like Raw characters that aren't always perfect but flawed and scared for a life they think they don't deserve this this is your next author to try.

That.Is.All

 photo F68B1ADB-872D-42AA-9EEE-FE15E103C0A6_zps5r7ekyhk.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment