Wednesday, May 13, 2015

GUEST REVIEW: A Bedtime Story (The BTS Trilogy #1) by L.C. Moon

Laura Spencer. Young, pretty, introverted. She worked at a local deli, where she left more broken plates than collected tips. Apologizing to aggravated waiters and cowering from overfriendly male clients made up most of her social interaction. The only friends she had lived inside the pages of books or on movie screens, offering slim comfort during the long, dark nights of her lonely life. Every two weeks, a postcard was delivered through her mail. She lived for those deliveries.

Peter Spencer. Her brother, her lifelong protector and her only family. The only one who truly knew her, who would sacrifice it all for her. Peter made a bad decision, involving the worst kind of people.

Kayne Malkin. Tall, dark and handsome. He belonged to the Organization, the Quebec fraction of a ruthless Russian Mafia. He was known for many things. He killed and tortured for a living. He seduced and destroyed for pleasure. But above all else, he built his reputation on one trait only. Kayne Malkin never lied. Not to the men he interrogated, not to the women he set his sights on. He got what he wanted, while staring them in the eye. Honest and remorseless. Kayne Malkin’s assignment: The Peter Spencer case.

On the first warm spring night, while Montreal celebrated the passing of winter, Laura reluctantly accepted to accompany a coworker out on the town. Kayne smirked by himself seeing her arrive, all dolled up, looking uncomfortable. Lurking in the shadows, he patiently waited. The trap was set.

WARNING: Contains explicit sexual content and dubious consent. Read at your own discretion.

4 MONSTER STARS

This was certainly no bedtime story. This debut novel by L.C. Moon captured me almost from the beginning with this spellbinding and tumultuous tale. It still has me contemplating it.


I love captor/captive stories. I really can’t explain it because I’m not for all that it involves but I can’t resist…I’ve been total Stockholm Syndrome for some captors and in other books, downright lethal in wanting to kill the bastard.


This tale has been done before yet, it was so well written with this haunting darkness cloaking the story, the plot was perfectly mapped out and the character development was really well done and mesmerizing in see the MCs navigate each other.

I was a wreck reading this...

and still have no clue where I stand with Kayne Malkin, the captor/monster. At times I wanted to kill him with my bare hands and at other times, I felt “something” for him.


I went through the same turmoil with Laura Spencer, his captive. Laura was innocent but not na├»ve. Despite being in her early twenties, she’d lived and seen the darkness and had even gone to some pretty great lengths in her short life. She also has this insane tendency to welcome trouble.

“She had opened Pandora’s box and now faced the evil she had unleashed.”


Of course, Kayne was dangerous and darkness but he was also strong, good-looking and exuded power...

Kayne was used to taking women and making them his whores to do with as he wished and then discarded them without a second thought. Of course, Laura was different.


She wasn’t a whore and with him inadvertently saving her, he feels responsible for her and this eventually grows into more. But despite his feelings for Laura, Kayne is a monster. He has the beast and darkness in him.

“He wanted to break her apart so he could put her back together again, over and over again.”

 photo BTS2_zps2d6uqgxz.jpg

“Maybe I am a monster. But I’m your monster. I’ll fight for you. I’ll kill for you. You’re mine. Always. Wherever you go. I’ll find you. Always. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you.”

And through this story, Laura is pushed and tested and brought to the brink time and time again. She was interesting in that I had my moments of wanting to shake her silly or scream at her but I also admired her because she was strong and she didn't shy away...
even when it would have been the smarter move.

This was no romance but there are moments of tenderness...

There was one aspect that had my heart in my throat and my stomach in knots A LOT.


This I could not get passed but it wasn’t a deal breaker in me liking the story because there is a lot going on. And it added to the tension and angst.

This ends with a cliffhanger, of course. I usually have an idea to direction but I didn’t see it coming. I was surprised and I'm also still a bit unsure as to how I feel about it...

I would recommend this book. If you like a riveting dark read, BDSM, can handle some violence and are open to explore the depravity of humanity, this will have you glued to your seat.


This is Part One of a three part series. I’m really interested in knowing where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment