5 “Trouble is as much the glue as love” Stars
"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul." ~ Pablo Neruda, Sonnet XVII
After the dedication and then the Neruda quote, I knew I was in for heartbreak. I know I say something along these lines every time I read Susan Fanetti but it warrants saying again and again...this woman is amazing. Her writing is poetic, her stories flawless in tempo, flow and arc and her characters are so memorable, endearing and real.
The second book in the SoCal Night Horde is about Faith Fordham, born and raised in the MC and Michael Van Buren (aka Demon), a foster kid who finally finds a home with the MC. These two have a tortured past, partly of their own doing but also put upon them by the hands of others. Their story is about true love despite age, time or circumstance; about second chances even when you feel you don't deserve it or are afraid to trust it; and about new beginnings among the chaos, the secrets of the past and their own fears.
“Now, twenty-four hours later, all that, all those years of her pretty good life, felt like a dream, one that was breaking into pieces and blowing away...”
"The thought though that he had traveled that full circle should have brought an even deeper sense of peace, maybe even happiness. But instead, Demon felt a creeping certainty that it was indeed a circle he was on, that he would lose it all again."
“It wasn’t about type. It was about being understood. It was about finding someone you fit with, someone whose puzzle matched your own.”
“What do you want?”
“You. I want you. We were wrong before, but maybe we can be right now. I love you, Faith. I never stopped.”
“I never stopped loving you, Michael. Not for a minute.”
“Sometimes, you only had to see what was right in front of you and let the future worry about itself.”
My favourite things about this story:
1. Faith, another kickass heroine whose strength and beauty just leaps off the page. Just like her name, her faith and love for Michael never waivers. It’s a rare kind of love that is pure, true and endless.
2. Demon, a truly broken soul if ever there was one. Beaten down and faced with the ugliest of mankind at such a young age, but despite it all, he is a protector and a loving and gentle soul.
3. Sly, the big ole tom cat. He may just be a cat but his meaning to me was so much more. He saw a kindred spirit in Demon, a survivor and he recognized a gentle loving soul in Faith. You know what they say about animals having that sixth sense about which humans are trustworthy.
4. Bibi, another strong beautiful woman. What an awesome club Queen! She’s a mother to the MC but seeing her with Demon and Faith just had me all emotional. Loved her!
5. Muse, Muse, Muse…loved him in Strength & Courage and loved to see his bond with Demon even more in this one. A true brother to Demon.
6. Finally, last but certainly not least, Susan Fanetti. I’m constantly in wonder of her and her ability to breathe life, love, loyalty, beauty, hope, family and friendship and so much more into the darkest of places and into the most broken of souls. And in the end of it all, she leaves you with the truth in the strength of spirit, the power of love and that hope shines eternal.